Built in the 14th century by Lusignans to protect the port against enemy attacks, it was used as the main entrance to Famagusta.
The Othello Tower/Citadel is an important monument in the history of Famagusta, Cyprus and the Mediterranean. Its importance and a sense of age and mystery are evident when one walks through the portals of the citadel – with the Lion of Venice still presiding after hundreds of years. The citadel consists of wall fortifications, connecting walls and four remaining towers (originally eight). These elements are in various states of decay from ruin to complete walls and rib vaulting. The monument comprises of two structures one inside the other. The outer Venetian fortifications that date from 1492 were constructed around the earlier Lusignan fortification from the 14th century. The Othello Tower/Citadel formed the key defensive position for the city of Famagusta at the apex of the city walls and the protector between the port and the sea.