Known also as the medieval or ancient Turkish baths, the hamam remained in use until 1896.

The hamam is also known as the medieval or ancient Turkish bath. Due to a lack of credible resources, documents and evidence, the period of the construction of the hamam has not yet been determined. However, archaeological evidence has proved that the hamam was in use during the medieval period. It also known that the hamam remained in use until the year 1896.

The hamam does not follow the typical plan of the ottoman hamams. The existing structure is a result of a series of repairs, renovation activities and a number of alterations throughout the centuries. In 1949, the west façade of the hamam was restored. During the years 1967 and 1976, other minor repairs also took place. In 2003, the apertures in the domes were restored and the entrance gateway in the west side and the entire masonry surface were consolidated.

In July 2015, a team of archaeologists and excavation workers was commissioned by UNDP to conduct the first phase of excavation works in four rooms of the hamam and the surrounding area. In October 2016 the second phase of the excavation was initiated. The excavation begun on the 3rd of October of 2016 and was completed on the 15th of November of 2016. According to the new findings of this second phase of the excavation it was considered necessary to proceed with a third and last phase of excavations before proceeding with the planned conservation works. The last phase of the excavation works was completed in January 2017.

Photo Gallery

New to Cyprus Digital Heritage ? Please Register